Signs You Might be Allergic to Mosquito Bites

Signs You Might be Allergic to Mosquito Bites

August 26, 2020

One of the most common reactions people experience after being bitten by a mosquito is to develop red, itchy bumps. These for when your body reacts to the flying insect’s saliva. However, for some people, the reaction to the mosquito’s saliva goes beyond just small, itchy bump. In some cases, they may develop a huge bump along with unbearable itching.

If you or someone you know has experienced this, you may be wondering: Can someone be allergic to mosquito bites? The answer is yes, they can. Although, it’s not referred to as an allergy. It’s called skeeter syndrome.

What You Should Know About Skeeter Syndrome

Skeeter syndrome is an allergic reaction to the proteins that exist within the saliva of mosquitoes. It was first discovered in 1999, and if you happen to be allergic to mosquito bites, these bumps can develop in minutes or hours of a mosquito sucking your blood.

While having large, itchy bumps can be tough to live with, most people don’t seek medical treatment for this reaction. In most cases, it clears up in a few days or with allergy treatments, including hydrocortisone creams and/or antihistamine oral medications.

In addition to large bumps, some people will also develop more severe reactions. This can include your face puffing up, your eyes swelling shut or your entire leg or arm (wherever you were bitten) becoming red, hot and swollen. In really severe cases, some people have even developed blisters, vomiting, a fever or had trouble breathing.

These reactions can be tough to deal with, but being allergic to mosquito bites isn’t nearly as dangerous as being allergic to wasp or bee stings. So far, no one has experienced anaphylaxis or needed an EpiPen after being bitten by mosquitoes.

swollen hand

Reducing Your Chances of Reacting to Mosquito Bites

It is possible to determine if you are allergic to mosquito bites. An allergist will be able to do skin tests that will let you know if you’ll react to the mosquito’s saliva. However, if you want to reduce your chances of having an allergic reaction in the first place, your best course of action is to prevent them from occurring.

One of the best ways to do this is to have MosquitoNix® come out to your home or business and have us put a pest control system in place. Depending on your needs, this might include a misting system or having fogging treatments done on a regular basis.

We even have a natural, eco-friendly way to get rid of mosquitoes. If you have sensitivities to chemicals, this could be your best option when it comes to getting rid of flying insects and doing something beneficial for your health and wellbeing.

When it comes to protecting yourself on the go, you should consider using our portable pest repellant system. Whether you are camping or heading to the park for a picnic, you can keep mosquitoes at bay. This reduces your chances of getting bitten and having a reaction.

Mosquito bites in general aren’t a lot of fun, but they can be even worse if you are allergic. Contact MosquitoNix for your customized pest prevention system! We offer free quotes and virtual consultation options.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.